According to new data from Gartner, by 2017, mobile apps will be downloaded more than 268 billion times, generating revenue of more than $77 billion and making apps one of the most popular computing tools for users across the globe.
In the Mobile Application World, apps are constantly gunning for the podium in order to gain consumers attention. Whether it be in the free or paid category, competition is rife. Apps fall into various categories based on their intended use such as banking, gaming, location based services, e-commerce apps and more. Within each category, new apps are released monthly by competitors.
Here are 3 of the top rated Mobile Apps:
1.SnapScan- Personal finance app
How it works: SnapScan is a mobile app that allows you to pay for goods and services using your Smart Phone. The process requires you to use the app to scan a code in store and enter the amount you wish to pay and its done! There are more than 10 000 stores participating around South Africa.
- You do not need to bank with Standard Bank
- You do not need to be carrying your bank card on you
- There are no charges except for data usage
The app since its introduction to South Africa is gradually becoming an alternate tool for card payments in store. In 2013 SnapScan wine best over all app and Best HTML 5 Mobile application at the MTN Business App Of The Year Awards.
2. LinkdIn Pulse– News App
How it works: LinkedIn Pulse is an app that organisers your favourite news feeds into a grid like interface. The app requires you to choose your preferred news sources as well as topics of interest to you and displays them and updates them as you wish. The app ties into your social media accounts ; Linkedin, twitter,Facebook etc for easy sharing/
- Display design is compact and easy to use
- Headlines are clearly displayed and refreshed
- No scrolling through multiple news feeds for interesting content
The News app is a simple alternative to reading or watching content from multiple news feeds on your Smart phone. It is brilliantly laid out easy to use.
3. Netflix– TV/Video
How it works: Netflix works on a monthly subscription basis whereby the consumer is given access to unlimited Movies and TV series. Netflix can be streamed your TV, Computer , or mobile devices.
- no matter the device you started watching on, it will pick up from where you paused when you switch devices.
- Netflix has a search engine, recommendations and Movie/series info.
- Full TV series are available to be streamed unlike with service providers such as Fox TV and DSTV.
Netflix is not set to launch in South Africa as yet but when it does it will be a tough contender for market leaders in TV broadcasting ,DSTV. The app makes TV series and movie watching limitless, at a more affordable rate.